It’s Teacher Appreciation Week, so I’ve decided to crochet a little apple to honor all the awesome teachers out there! Undoubtedly, teachers are important as they work hard to educate children with the skills and knowledge needed for the world.
This is a simple little apple that is very easy & quick to work up. You may choose to add a face for a cute amigurumi, make a bunch of apples to hang on a tree or just one by itself as part of kids’ play kitchen.
- Crochet hooks G/4.00mm & E/3.5mm
- Yarn needle (I use Clover Chibi Bent Tip Needle Set)
- Fiberfill for stuffing
- Stitch marker (optional)
- Any worsted weight yarn in three colors, I used the following in my sample:
- The little apple measures approx. 3″ tall.
- This pumpkin is worked in continuous round, do not join or turn unless stated.
- Use a stitch marker to mark the beginning/end of a round, if desired.
- Gauge is not essential – just keep your tension consistent throughout.
- Magic Ring Alternative Method (Chain 2 Method): ch2, work 6 sc in second ch from hook, then continue on to next round without joining.
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
sc2tog = single crochet 2 together / sc decrease
sl st = slip stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
rep = repeat
* – * = repeat instructions between asterisks as many times as directed
With red yarn & a G hook, work magic ring, ch 1 to secure ring.
If you don’t like the magic ring method, use the ‘chain 2 method’ described in the Notes section above, then continue on to Rnd 2. I highly recommend you to try the magic ring method, though!
Round 1: Work 6 sc in magic ring (6 sts)
Round 2: 2 sc in each st around (12 sts)
Round 3: *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st*, rep * around (18 sts)
Round 4: *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 2 sts*, rep * around (24 sts)
Round 5: *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 3 sts*, rep * around (30 sts)
Rounds 6-10: 1 sc in each st around (30 sts)
Round 11: *sc2tog, 1 sc in next 3 sts*, rep * around (24 sts)
Round 12: *sc2tog, 1 sc in next 2 sts*, rep * around (18 sts)
Round 13: *sc2tog, 1 sc in next st*, rep * around (12 sts)
Stuff with fiberfill.
Round 14: sc2tog around to close up the apple (6 sts)
With brown yarn & a G hook, work magic ring, ch 1 to secure ring.
Round 1: Work 4 sc in magic ring (4 sts)
Rounds 2-5: 1 sc in each st around (4 sts)
Sl st in next st and fasten off. Leave a yarn tail to sew on to the apple.
With green yarn & an E hook…
Row 1 (smaller leaf): Ch 6, 1 sc in second ch from hook, *1 hdc, 1 dc, 1 hdc*, 2 sc in last st. This completes one side of the leaf. Continuing on the other side; 1 sc in next st, rep * – * 1 time, 1 sc in last st. (11 sts)
Do not join or turn.
Row 2 (bigger leaf): Ch 7, 1 sc in second ch from hook, *1 hdc, 1 dc, 1 dc, 1 hdc*, 2 sc in last st. This completes one side of the leaf. Continuing on the other side; 1 sc in next st, rep * – * 1 time, 1 sc in last st. Sl st to join. (13 sts)
Fasten off, leaving a yarn tail to sew on to the apple.