I am so happy to see many of you are working on the The Traveling Tu Family pattern, even though Easter is only a few days away! I have already seen some finished projects and I must say, I LOVE them all!! Thank you to those who shared their projects with me either via private message/email, on my Facebook page or by tagging #doriyumi on Instagram.
So how about another little free crochet pattern to go with the Traveling Tu Family set? A fellow crafter requested some little eggs to go with the bunnies and I said to myself, why the heck not? I don’t even know why I hadn’t thought of it in the first place. Duh!
I started working on these eggs after my little ones went to bed. I love how they came out, especially with the variegated yarn! It saves so much time from color changes and I love how each egg will come out looking a little different due to the variegated yarn. Check the pattern if you would like to use the same color I used in the sample – I always note the exact brand and color in my patterns, in case you want yours to be the exact color combination.
For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links at no extra cost to you.
- Crochet hooks D/3.25mm & F/3.75mm
- Tapestry needle (I use Clover Chibi Bent Tip Needle Set)
- Poly-fil Stuffing
- Worsted weight cotton yarn, I used the following yarn by Lily Sugar’n Cream:
- You will be able to fit around 3 eggs in the basket.
- Adjust the size of the eggs or basket by using a larger/smaller hook or heavier/lighter weight yarn.
- The egg basket measures approx. 3″ tall (including the handle) x 2.75″ wide.
- The egg measures approx. 1.5″ tall x 1.2″ wide.
- Gauge is not essential – just keep your tension consistent throughout.
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
sc2tog = single crochet 2 together / sc decrease
hdc = half double crochet
BLO = back loop only
sl st = slip stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
rep = repeat
* – * = repeat instructions between asterisks as many times as directed
- Worked in the round, do not join or turn unless stated.
With D/3.25mm hook, work magic ring, ch 1 to secure ring.
Round 1: Work 5 sc in magic ring. (5 sts)
Round 2: 2 sc in each st around. (10 sts)
Round 3: * 1 sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st*, rep * around. (12 sts)
Round 4: * 1 sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st*, rep * around. (16 sts)
Rounds 5-6: 1 sc in each st around. (16 sts)
Stuff with Poly-fil.
Round 7: * 1 sc in next 4 sts, sc2tog*, rep * one time. 1 sc in next 4 sts. (14 sts)
Round 8: sc2tog. * 1 sc in next 2 sts, sc2tog*, rep * 2 more times. (10 sts)
Round 9: sc2tog around (5 sts)
Fasten off and leave a tail for sewing. Weave tail through last 5 sts to close up the egg.
- Worked in joined rounds; always join to the first stitch at end of round.
- Start the first stitch in same stitch as join.
With F/3.75mm hook, work magic ring, ch 1.
Round 1: Work 5 sc in magic ring, sl st to first sc to join (5 sts)
Round 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in each st around, join (10 sts)
Round 3: Ch 1, * 1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st*, rep * around, join (15 sts)
Round 4: Ch 1, * 1 sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st*, rep * around, join (20 sts)
Round 5: Ch 1, * 1 sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st*, rep * around, join (25 sts)
Round 6: Ch 1, * 1 sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st*, rep * around, join (30 sts)
Round 7: Ch 1, * 1 sc in next 5 sts, 2 sc in next st*, rep * around, join (35 sts)
Round 8: Ch 1, working in BLO, 1 sc in each st around, join (35 sts)
Rounds 9-10: Ch 2, 1 hdc in each st around, join (35 sts)
Round 11: Ch 1, 1 sc in each st around, join (35 sts)
Round 12: Sl st in each st around (35 sts)
We will work on the handle of the basket next. Without fastening off…
Ch 20 (chain more if you want a higher handle). Attach the handle with a sl st in the 16th st of the basket. Then, sl st across the handle back to the beginning of the chain.
Fasten off and weave in ends.