A few days ago, I published a post about The Traveling Tu Family, which is a FREE crochet pattern I’ve designed exclusively for Melody’s Makings. Since then, my little one has been telling me that the bunnies need a basket to store their carrots. Because, you know, they can’t just leave it on the ground (the carrots will be dirty, Mommy!). So here we are, a free crochet pattern for a little basket of carrots!!
- Crochet hook G/4.0mm (I use Clover hooks)
- Tapestry needle (I use Clover Chibi Bent Tip Needle Set)
- Brown yarn (I used Warm Brown by Lily Sugar’n Cream)
- Basket is worked from bottom to top.
- Always join to the first st (not the Ch 2) at the end of each round unless otherwise stated.
- The basket measures approx. 2.25″ tall x 3″ wide.
- Gauge is not essential – just keep your tension consistent throughout.
ch = chain
hdc = half double crochet
BLO = back loop only
sl st = slip stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
rep = repeat
* – * = repeat instructions between asterisks as many times as directed
With brown & G/4.0mm hook, work magic ring, ch 2.
Round 1: Work 10 hdc in magic ring, sl st to first hdc to join (10 sts)
Round 2: Ch 2, 2 hdc in each st around, join (20 sts)
Round 3: Ch 2, * 1 hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next st*, rep * around, join (30 sts)
Round 4: Ch 2, working in BLO, 1 hdc in each st around, join (30 sts)
Rounds 5-6: Ch 2, 1 hdc in each st around, join (30 sts)
We will work on the handle of the basket next, working in rows. We will NOT be joining at the end of each row.
Rows 7-8: Ch 2, turn, 1 hdc in next 4 sts (4 sts)
Row 9: Ch 2, turn, 1 hdc in next st, hdc2tog, 1 hdc in last st (3 sts)
Rows 10-15: Ch 2, turn, 1 hdc in each st across (3 sts)
Row 16: Ch 2, turn, 1 hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in last st (4 sts)
Row 17: Ch 2, turn, 1 hdc in each st across (4 sts)
Fasten off and leave a tail for sewing the handle to the basket. Count 11 sts from the other side of the handle, and start sewing here to secure the handle.